Thursday, November 15, 2012

Screening Notes for Eames

Wait a second, before I say anything I just gotta get something off my chest.

CHARLES EAMES IS A CHEATER MC-CHEATER PANTS

Now... with that out of the way.

I was amazed during this entire program how the studio spaces and furniture and interior design could have easily been pictures of modern interiors that I would reblog on my tumblr. In fact the only indications I had of the time period in which the Eames did their greatest work was in the narration and advertisements presented on the screen.

That being said, the natural conclusion is that the Eames ended up shaping a new form of design that became the new classic. The designs not only inform modern designs, but also still exist in the world as what we may call retro or throwback designs. Their appeal continues to be relevant because what the Eames studio created is based on universal aesthetic ideals and on ideas of efficiency of form, affordable manufacturing practices, and practicality.

Their lives and work support my belief that the best artists are well-rounded ones that are informed by many different areas of work, which is the main reason why I try to experiment and learn as many different art forms as I can. If I'm not a natural at it, I will at least try it. It was Ray's painting and design background combined with Charles' disposition for architecture and natural creativity that created that perfect marriage of art and industry to create some of the most well-designed household pieces of the century in America.

The breadth of their interests meant they were also active in other art forms such as video, home design and construction, and overall communication arts. They shaped a large portion of the modern art world.







No comments:

Post a Comment