Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Screening Notes for Milton Glaser

Oh I already like this guy, he drew and copied comics as a kid, which is an artistic start I identify with a lot.

I really love this guy's easy-going philosophies and his simple artistic genius, and how humble he is about everything. We're talking about the guy who came up with the "I heart NY" design - something that I would argue was one of the world's biggest pre-internet memes. It's something that's still relevant and altered and used in the present day. I especially liked the examples that popped up from his time working for grocers. It reminded me of the graphic design I am surrounded with every day I go to work at my retail job, and how much of it pains me. If some of these artists went back to the graphic design roots like what Milton does, stocking would be filled with a lot more interest for me. I am struck by how awful some of the designs are these days and I really wish the people working for these modern companies had the kind of work ethic Milton has, or that they had teachers like Milton when they were studying this profession.






No comments:

Post a Comment